Monday, March 2, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread


It really makes a HUGE difference when you grind your own wheat... I prefer white wheat because it doesn't taste so "wheaty". If that's even a word, but it really is so much better. You can obviously use whatever wheat flour you want though.


Mom's Whole Wheat Bread

4 cups warm water
2 TB yeast
1/3 cup butter or canola oil
1/2 cup honey

Mix water, butter or oil, and honey until combined. Sprinkle yeast on top and just stir a little. Let it get all bubbly, about 5-10 minutes.

5 cups whole wheat flour

4 tsp salt

Mix together flour and salt in a separate bowl then add yeast mixture once it's ready. Start mixing (I do it in my kitchen aid)...

3-4 more cups whole wheat flour, keep mixing.

The dough will be very sticky, cover with a clean dish cloth and let rise about 30 min. You will need to flour your counter and then put your dough on the counter. Separate the dough to fit your loaf pans (it makes 2 big loafs and 1 small). Put in loaf pans and let it rise again, about 20 minutes or so. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

**This is one of 2 recipes I use a lot, my other recipe I got from a friend so... I will let LeAnn post her Whole Wheat Bread recipe because it's REALLY good too**

No comments: