Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hawaiian Meatballs


I got this recipe from a friend (thanks Jen) who got it from a friend and so on... it's really good!

Hawaiian Meatballs
1 lb hamburger
1/2 cup corn flakes (crushed) *I use bread crumbs instead.
1 egg
1 1/2 TB soy sauce
1 TB chopped onion
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp pepper
dash of garlic salt

*Mix all together with meat, form into balls and brown in pan.

Sauce:
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
3 TB flour
*mix brown sugar & flour in sauce pan and add 2/3 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar
1 TB ketchup
1 TB soy sauce
1 small can pineapple tidbits

*Heat to boil and add to meat balls, let soak for 10 minutes in sauce.

(I usually just brown the meatballs, then put them in the crockpot with sauce to finish cooking for a couple hours on low. That way I can start dinner while my little one is napping.)

Serve over rice.

4 comments:

Clenece said...

AHHH...This is one so...so...YUMMY! I love this one. It is definitively a must try, and a keeper for us!

One thing I do to make things easier is brown my meatballs in the oven & place them 1 inch apart on cookie sheet and bake, uncovered, at 400 for 10 minutes. Then I turn the meatballs over and bake 8-10 minutes longer or until no longer pink.

I can't make meatballs stay together and look like meatballs if I cook them over the stove.

Erin said...

Good tip! Thanks!

The Schmutz Family said...

Hey! I'm going to try this one this weekend. I might do like my meatball recipe and just bake them with the sauce 350 for 45 minutes. I don't know if it will cook the same but it might be a little faster. I'll let you know what we think.

The Schmutz Family said...

Ok I made it and it is delish! The sauce thickened up quite nice while baking it in the oven. THanks Erin.