Friday, March 6, 2009

Sweet N Sour Chicken

My friend made this for us after we had a baby, and I had to get the recipe - it is very good!!!

Sweet & Sour Chicken

◘ 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
◘ 1 red pepper, chopped
◘ 1 green pepper, chopped
◘ Flour
◘ 1 lg. can pineapple tidbits, with juice
◘ Salt & Pepper
◘ 1/2 c. brown sugar
◘ Oil for frying (3-4 Tbs.)
◘ 1/2 c. rice wine vinegar
◘ 1 c. chicken stock
◘ 2-3 Tbs. cornstarch, mixed with water

Salt and pepper chicken. Dust it with flour on all sides. Brown chicken in hot oil (med. To med-hi heat), about 8 minutes. Remove chicken from pan. Add red and green peppers and cook for 1 minute. Stir in pineapple (with juice), sugar, vinegar and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. simmer until sauce begins to reduce. stir in cornstarch mixture and bring to a simmer. stir in chicken and cook for 5 minutes. taste. don't be afraid to add more sugar or vinegar to taste, salt and pepper too. Serve over rice.
This is what the chicken looks like, and then the finished mixture. I forgot to take a picture when it was on our rice, but you get the idea I hope. We always add a little more b. sugar, because we like it more on the sweet side. The recipe also called for pineapple chunks, but we like the smaller pieces better. So it is up to you!

I buy my peppers when they go on sale, and then I cut them up and freeze them, that way it is cheaper to get the red peppers. I also doubled this recipe and froze it so that we can have it for dinner another night too - all I will have to do is cook up some rice.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my gosh... I think my husband would love this. THANKS!

Erin said...

We tried this tonight and it was yummy!